Journey to Lia

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day and Counting Down

This Mother's Day I am truly blessed. One wonderful daughter who gave me lots of hugs and kisses, breakfast in bed and Swiss Chalet for dinner. And one daughter whose picture I look at 100 times a day,  wonder what she is doing and hopes she knows her family is coming soon. We got a wonderful surprise this week of new pictures of our little Lia.



Today I am  thankful to those who have helped on the way to my becoming a Mom for the second time.

For our family and friends who have stood by us in our journey.

For our wonderful Social Worker Bonnie, who since I told her our plans to change our request for an older child from China's Waiting Child Program, has been very supportive and has believed in our strength as a family to take this new path.

For our awesome new agency Family Outreach International who has gone above and beyond in helping us to get to our daughter as fast as we can. And for always making yourself available, especially when we called at 9:30pm the night we saw a photo of Lia.

For my Mom, Happy Mother's Day!! Who has over the years oh so gently asked how things are going in our second adoption and been a great listener. I love you!!

And last but not least, my husband Brian. Who did not turn and run the other direction when in the middle of H1N1 clinics I hit the wall waiting for our second child. For working through the options and figuring out together how to get through. Love you xoxo

When we started gathering our paperwork in December 2005 to adopt again, never did we anticipate it taking this long. It has been a rough wait. And now we sit, leaving in 10 days and my heart is torn. I am so excited to meet Lia, yet I am terrified for her being given to strangers for the second time in her life. This time the strangers are us.

As I sit here listening to Ami chatter away, soon there will be a little chatter in English (make that a lot!) and a little chatter in Mandarin, and it warms my heart. My two little girls!!

4 comments:

  1. As I read this, Ami is sitting on my lap helping me write this story. Brian, is dozing on the couch watching the hockey game. Trisha and Herb are chatting together. Very soon Lia will be joining us for many happy years. We are so lucky to be a great big happy family. Lia we can hardly wait to meet you! From Buffy, and Herb, and Ami.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ami is going to be a fantastic big sister. Looking forward to following you guys through China. We wish we were there with you all. Hugs. The Tonkins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Ami looks so proud to be a big sister. What fun she has to look forward to! Lia will be such a blessing to your family.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking of your little family so much. What a great experience for Ami to see her culture, she will always remember this. I hope your hotel has a huge bed for you all to snuggle into at night and maybe get some sleep.
    Have lots of fun and this sends lots of love.
    Auntie Teeny and all the Sallie gang.

    ReplyDelete